lava lamps

Click Here To Visit Our Sponsor

OozingGoo HOME | SHOP | GALLERY | FORMULAS | HISTORY
>>> THIS IS AN ARCHIVE ONLY. TO SEE CURRENT DISCUSSIONS AND POST NEW MESSAGES, VISIT THE NEW LAVA LAMP FORUM. <<<
Legal Threats from Lavaworld. October 1, 2014, 10:18pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

Oozing Goo Lava Line    Main Conferences    Collecting  ›  Legal Threats from Lavaworld. Moderators: Astrobaby, LampHead, william_jam
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 2 Guests

Legal Threats from Lavaworld.  This thread currently has 33,723 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 » All Recommend Thread
Astrobaby
November 15, 2007, 11:35pm Report to Moderator

Loving the lava ...
Board Moderator
I don't mean to turn this thread into a battlefield but as you know i started a little non-profit cafepress shop of lava lamp themed items like a lava lamp mousemat and from that we will make a calender and let people to buy it etc.

Today i received an email from cafe press regarding the photograph that i took of my Crestworth Astro copper coach lantern and a little silver christmas tree as Tim Haggerty does not like the name lava lamp being used to describe the stuff.So how are people supposed to find a lava lamp calendar? it is hardly like we are doing anything to take away their business.

It is obvious that lavaworld read these boards so here is a nice warning to Tim Haggerty from the UK. I find the quite petty that they have to resort to trawling cafepress and contacting fans of lava who aren't damaging their sales and sending them nasty emails:

Dear LavaLamp Lover,

Thank you for contacting CafePress.com!

In accordance with our Intellectual Property Rights Policy, Timothy J. Haggerty on behalf of http://www.lavaworld.com provided us with a notice stating that the use of the "LAVA LAMP" infringes upon their intellectual property rights (copyright/trademark).  Please click here for more information about intellectual property.

Accordingly, we have set the content that is alleged to infringe the rights of the third party to “pending status” which disables said content from being displayed in your shop or purchased by the public.  You may review the content set to pending status by logging into your CafePress.com account and clicking on the “Media Basket” link.  The content set to pending status will be highlighted red.

If you believe that you hold the rights to the content alleged to infringe the rights of the third party, we encourage you to contact the alleged rights holder directly for a resolution to this matter.  Below please find the contact information for the party alleging infringement.

Timothy J. Haggerty
Haggerty Enterprises
321 West Lake Street, Suite G
Elmhurst, IL 60126
Phone: 630.315.3300
tim@tjhaggerty.com

I am gonna send a copy of this thread to Tim Haggerty to give him a piece of my mind.

In the mid 1960s, the lava manufacturing company was founded upon the rights that they would produce the lava lite in the usa and that european patent holder would produce the lamps for the rest of the world. Unfortunately, lavaworld does not respect this and floods the uk market with their rubbish chinese made lava lamps.

For so many decades, the original and true lava manufacturing company of the 1960s with vision and high levels of work ethic produced the lava lite in chicago until lavaworld which is a division of the wonderful haggerty enterprises based in chicago and in Bristol decided to move their production facilities to mainland china with no regard for any product quality. Any true collector can see the difference between the crap made in china and in the usa. Only looking at the flow will show the difference vision and the clear lack of product quality.

In terms of legality, Lavaworld came up with the name lava lite, not lava lamp, Lava lamp in the 1990s became the generic term used to describe an astro lamp or lava lite. Furthermore lavaworld floods the uk market with their tasteless cheap rubbish that doesn't flow that is a disgrace to the original lava lamps. Lavaworld never invented the lava lamp, only the name lava lite. I personally think they confused the coach lantern as one of their products, if they were to buy a Crestworth/ Mathmos product they might learn one or two things about high quality, which Lavaworld so desperately lack.

Furthermore, it is very foolish to target lava lamp fans, in my country your bullying tatics mean nothing, and whilst you may succeed in flooding our market with rubbish, ultimately you will always be remembered as the company that destroyed the quality of the american made lava lamps.

Site E-mail Private Message AIM
Astrobaby
November 15, 2007, 11:58pm Report to Moderator

Loving the lava ...
Board Moderator
I should also say thank you to all the folks who bought something like the lava lamp mousemats - it was nice of you.

Site E-mail Private Message AIM Reply: 1 - 35
Astrobaby
November 16, 2007, 12:07am Report to Moderator

Loving the lava ...
Board Moderator
I am a person who speaks my mind, if i take a picture of my Crestworth lantern which has got no logo on it and a flipping christmas tree and i take a picture of the  bubbles inside a lamp and i put it on a card and put it as a non profit item - i don't call this unreasonable. Lavaworld are nothing but a bunch of vampires who go around biting anyone who uses the name lava lamp, which they didn't even invent.

Here is the image lavaworld opposed:

Sorry folks but i have closed the cafepress shop down and i won't be making the calender because this behaviour makes be ashamed to even touch a lavaworld product.

I have some products that i am selling now:

A darkstar lamp. Quite rare.

Three grandes: Blue/Green, the standard red purple grande and maybe the lilac and white - i might hold onto that cos of my memories of creambuns who i used to chat with about that lamp.

Also a glitter grande.

A wave machine.

i am taking my lava glitter lamp from my window too and my lava end up bag tag goes to. I am angry.

Site E-mail Private Message AIM Reply: 2 - 35
csswgg
November 16, 2007, 3:02am Report to Moderator
Minimum Member
I'm very sorry to hear all this.

I will never buy another Lavaworld product. I will continue to purchase and collect vintage American made lamps, and vintage and NEW Mathmos (and crestworth) products. Out of all my hundreds of lamps, my one modern Lavaworld product is my Colossus. As I mentioned in another thread, the quality is very low, and I wish I had not bought it. I used to have a Glitter Grande, but a flaw in the glass began to turn into a crack, so I threw it out.
Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message Reply: 3 - 35
November 16, 2007, 4:57am Report to Moderator
Guest User
You go Astro.  Screw Lava World and their crap.  They ruined their own product and I hope they shut down.  Their lamps will never be the same.  
E-mail Reply: 4 - 35
william_jam
November 16, 2007, 5:13am Report to Moderator

Board Moderator
I can't believe Lava World did that.
You didn't even use "Lava Lamp" You just used "Lava" from your site's name "Flowoflava"
That is just ridiculous!

If anything. Mathmos should be telling you stuff about copywright infringement because they are the original creators.

Oh well. I guess Tim Haggerty has his other ideas.

I am even more into vintage lamps now. The China ones have about lost their luster to me now.

Now I want a few Mathmos. LOL
But I can't afford the friggin' shipping.

W_J

I have the full line of spring, summer, fall and winter straight jackets to fit any decor to any time of the year!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 35
OsoLava
November 16, 2007, 6:08am Report to Moderator

Sexy Lava
Big Member
Lava world is just Pi**ed because they didn't think of the calendar themselves. They dont realize that pi**ing us off isn't going to help sales, especially when all we are doing is feeding our lava obsession (which IS in their favor) Not trying to profit from it.

What can we gain by sailing to the moon if we are not able to cross the abyss that separates us from ourselves?
-Thomas Merton
Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message Reply: 6 - 35
coolsox
November 16, 2007, 7:51am Report to Moderator

Medium Member
Astrobaby - IF you really are going to get rid of your Dark star, i'd like to take it off your hands. Please e-mail / PM me with your figure.

I love the Crestworth picture btw...
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 35
johnuk1
November 16, 2007, 9:27am Report to Moderator
Medium Member
WELL AS WE ALL KNOW THE ONLY THING LAVA WORLD/ HAGGERTY INVENTED WAS THE NAME LAVA WELL THEY STOLE THAT WORD FROM THE DICTIONARY.  MATHMOS RULES FULLSTOP DOWN WITH LAVA WORLD DOWN WITH THERE CHEAP CHINSE CHEAP SLAVE LABOUR PRODUCTS V <<fingers up to em >
Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message Reply: 8 - 35
Astrobaby
November 16, 2007, 10:49am Report to Moderator

Loving the lava ...
Board Moderator
Thanks folks for your support - i don't understand lavaworld at all - the images i took didn't have their name or didn't belong to them. As many people say there is no real thing as a lava lamp, it is just a generic name that people used and caught on - i mean nobody really says a lava brand original motion lamp, they just say lava lamp. I was speaking to a friend of mine who is a bit of hippie and he was explaining to me how the name lava lamp came around.

You see the 60s, the original name was Astro lamp, and in the 1980s, there was a slump in sales and people forgot about the lava lamps until the 1990s, by then people called them lava lamps.

The images were taken by me, one of the crestworth lantern with the christmas tree decorations and second the picture of the wax inside one of my lamps. No logos nor anything related to any company.

It was an unnecessary attack on someone who was doing no harm.

I made that image as a welcome image on the site for christmas.

Dear Tim Haggerty,

Instead of bullying individuals who don't harm your business, here is a list of things that would be more worthwhile to do with your time.

1. Close down your current factory and bring back the lamps to the USA. Have some work ethic and dignity. We all know how you get that low price.

2. The collusus is a joke, stop the issues with the dye leakage problems, and give people what they are truely paying for.

3. Restore the flow, to what it used to be. If you don't understand what i am saying, please take an american lava lamp and a chinese lava lamp and put them side by side. If you are so out of touch with reality as the ceo of the company, get an assistant to do it for you.

4. Constructive Advice: Why is the metal on the lamps so paper thin? Secondly after all these years why do your lamps still show the air gap?

5.Stop flooding the british market, your rubbish isn't wanted here. Sorry to be blunt.

6. Have a Merry Christmas.

Site E-mail Private Message AIM Reply: 9 - 35
Astrobaby
November 16, 2007, 11:55am Report to Moderator

Loving the lava ...
Board Moderator
thnks coolsox - yup i am getting rid of my lavaworld lamp - i'll give you message tonight when i am back from work - thanks for the nice words on the christmas image

Site E-mail Private Message AIM Reply: 10 - 35
PXR57128
November 16, 2007, 12:47pm Report to Moderator
Medium Member
THIS IS WHY I HAVE STARTED ON THE HUNTER LAMPS AND HAVE BEGUN
MY CRESTWORTH / MATHMOS COLLECTION. The LW China crap has gotten
worse now the lava is sticking to the globe and riding up the sides.
I am now getting TELSTARS,ASTROS New from the UK thru friends i have
been dealing with The shipping is a killer but BOY DO THE LAMPS FLOW NICE.
Not made cheap but made with pride in the UK. I have seen the rainbows they
can keep them When the lamp is milky the color of the globe seems to hide it.?
The only good one they have is the BLK Chrome 52z base only throw the globe
away keep the base. In the stores you will see soon buy one get one free just to
get them out. I no longer buy the china crap lamps save your money and Buy a
mathmos made IN ENGLAND WITH PRIDE.Im tired of fixing LW junk.....
Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message Reply: 11 - 35
TxGammaray
November 16, 2007, 2:14pm Report to Moderator
&quot;Don't call us.We'll call you.&quot;
Baby Member
Its all such a shame.Another iconic American product,cheapened by greed and outsourced to a Chinese market.After more than a few bad experiences with cheaply made Haggerty lamps,my collection now consiststs of older "pre-china" models.Its true,the Brits still consistently make a higher quality lamp these days,but America still excels in the production of beef jerky! Peace to all,Evie.
Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message AIM YIM Windows Live Messenger Reply: 12 - 35
johnuk1
November 16, 2007, 3:06pm Report to Moderator
Medium Member
as ive said MANY TIMES before you get what ya pay for i.e buy cheap u get somethying cheap etc etc  MATHMOS ARE THE BEST, THE INVENTORS AND THE BEST FLOW !    READ IT AND WEEP LAVA WORLD  can i say lava or will i get done for using the word lava
Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message Reply: 13 - 35
TxGammaray
November 16, 2007, 5:10pm Report to Moderator
&quot;Don't call us.We'll call you.&quot;
Baby Member
Look on the bright side.Haggerty has made all of our American made formula lamp collections worth more.May I advise all Ebay sellers to add the phrase" pre-chinese production original formula" to their item description? Not only that does that inform a potential buyer as "the real thing"(thus increasing its value).it also encourages Haggerty to improve it quality.Peace to all.Evie.
Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message AIM YIM Windows Live Messenger Reply: 14 - 35
3 Pages 1 2 3 » All Recommend Thread
Print

Oozing Goo Lava Line    Main Conferences    Collecting  ›  Legal Threats from Lavaworld.