lava lamps

Click Here To Visit Our Sponsor

OozingGoo HOME | SHOP | GALLERY | FORMULAS | HISTORY
>>> THIS IS AN ARCHIVE ONLY. TO SEE CURRENT DISCUSSIONS AND POST NEW MESSAGES, VISIT THE NEW LAVA LAMP FORUM. <<<
REPOSTED: Cure for a Foggy Globe October 24, 2014, 9:30am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

Oozing Goo Lava Line    Main Conferences    Lava Lamp Science Lab  ›  REPOSTED: Cure for a Foggy Globe Moderators: LampHead, Manix5, MattMJB0188
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

REPOSTED: Cure for a Foggy Globe  This thread currently has 9,974 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
SCOTT13A
August 29, 2007, 1:47am Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
REPOSTED

"Cure for a Foggy Globe"

Posted by: F Clef Left, December 10, 2006, 6:49pm
Sorry, I don't have the answers.  I just need to know where to look for them.  I have several working lamps and one that is comatose.  I'll start another thread later on how to bring that one back to life.

Three of my lamps are foggy, One is an eBay score and (according to the auction pics) acquired the fog during the shipping process.  Another was in storage for a few years and has been foggy ever since I fired it up. The third was working fine until two months ago when it was knocked (while hot) to the floor.  All use a 40-watt standard base bulb and are 16.25" tall with cap.  Sorry, I don't know what model line they come from.  I do know that they are of various ages.

For the past six weeks, I've had them plugged into a timer and have been cycling them (4-hours on,  2-hours off) three times a day with one 6-hour cycle off - still foggy. I even let them spend one night in the freezer before returning them to the cycle timer - still foggy.  These remedies were suggested on other websites dedicated to Lava Lamp enthusiasts.  If anyone has other suggestions, please clue us all in.

- F

Posted by: Mark Goo, December 10, 2006, 9:15pm; Reply: 1
We had copious comments and posts on this wonderful subject with tons of super duper help.  Then Molten Meditation took that advice and made a great step-by-step solution to the "cloudy lava lamp" of "foggy lava lamp" problem here:  http://www.moltenmeditation.com/lava.htm

And what is so cool is that she gives credit to where credit is due:  http://www.oozinggoo.com

MG

Posted by: lavaphish, December 12, 2006, 1:25am; Reply: 2
Nice article about unclouding lamps, but does it work on the US made Lave World type lamps too?  The article seems geared towards UK lamps.
Print page generated: July 6, 2007, 6:16pm

I don't have a signature.
Logged Offline
Private Message
william_jam
September 13, 2007, 4:01am Report to Moderator

Moderator Group
I agree with cycling the lavas though.
It does really  help.

It cleared my Grande.

They key is patience.
It took a whole year for my Grande to clear up almost completely.

W_J

I have the full line of spring, summer, fall and winter straight jackets to fit any decor to any time of the year!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 4
Astrobaby
October 22, 2007, 10:59pm Report to Moderator

Loving the lava ...
Moderator Group
I filter globes through cotton wool and a strainer - it makes them go crystal clear after a few filters - if you have a lot to do - it is best to get an electric filter tool which someone posted about a while back.

Site E-mail Private Message AIM Reply: 2 - 4
william_jam
November 5, 2007, 7:44am Report to Moderator

Moderator Group
Astrobaby, where do you get your cotton wool from again?
I want to get some and filter a couple of cloudy globes that I have.

W_J

I have the full line of spring, summer, fall and winter straight jackets to fit any decor to any time of the year!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 4
stoneej
November 12, 2007, 6:31pm Report to Moderator
Minimum Member
Depending upon what your lava lamp is made from, you can use
A coffee filter,
Filter paper (from some scientific supply house)
Cotton or glass "wool" which you can get in the form of filterfloss (used in aquarium filters) Any pet store should have it, and it is cheap.  Just don't expect any of these to filter fast if the liquids are thick.

Also, if you have one of those older parafin models, they will likely solidify while filtering making a big mess (even if you heat them ahead of time).  Just a word to the wise.  

However, most homemade ones should filter fine.

Eric

Without rocks, a babbling brook would lose its song.
Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message YIM Reply: 4 - 4
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Oozing Goo Lava Line    Main Conferences    Lava Lamp Science Lab  ›  REPOSTED: Cure for a Foggy Globe